Author: John Matthew
Like any other thing, a car needs maintenance. This will extend the car’s life, and timely inspection and proper care will save a decent amount of money. In addition, repair during the operation of a vehicle is inevitable. These two things are inseparably linked to each other. Thus, you can make car service visits rarer if you treat your “wheel friend” more reverently.
Serve your “iron horse.”
Serious breakdowns and routine inspections must be done services or representative offices. However, there are some procedures that a motorist can do on their own. Such preventive measures should be taken depending on the behavior of the car.
The main points are checking the tyre pressure and the level of technical fluids. If a deficiency of one or the other is established, then it should be filled. Present-day automobiles are equipped with specialized sensors that notify the driver of a lack of fluid. These sensitive sensors greatly facilitate the maintenance of the machine.
- Checking the oil level
The general operation of the car’s power unit directly depends on the oil. If the car enthusiast has neglected this moment for some time, the engine power will significantly decrease. The car owner should check the oil level once a month. If the car is operated daily and in large quantities, the systematic check should be increased. The driver should turn off the engine and allow it to cool before checking.
Before proceeding with the check, several conditions must be met:
- Put the car on a flat horizontal surface.
- Carefully wipe the check probe.
- Insert it to the very end and remove it.
There is a unique mark on the dipstick that shows the optimal level of technical fluid.
The oil must be topped up, and it is essential to ensure that it is of the same type. It is necessary to add technical fluid only when the engine is turned off and cooled. The engine should be given a little more time for the oil to flow from there into a special tray. You can use a funnel to add oil. It is important not to overfill; this can affect the engine’s operation and for the worse. It is also undesirable to spray oils on the sides.
- Coolant level
It is imperative to monitor the coolant level, and if the dipstick shows its deficiency, it must be replenished as soon as possible. Topping up coolant, as in oil, should only be topped up when the power unit has cooled down. Impatient motorists’ risk serious harm to their health due to a splash of boiling technical fluid. If the liquid level drops sharply immediately after refilling, this indicates the presence of leaks. In such a situation, you will require specialist intervention.
- The level of technical fluid in the gearbox
Before this procedure, the car should be fixed on a flat horizontal surface; for this, you need to use the “handbrake”. Then, the operation should be carried out with the engine running. It is essential to monitor the temperature of the liquid, and it should be normal. Since the surface of the power unit is very hot, it is important to observe safety measures and be extremely careful.
The engine must be idling, and then the gear lever must be shifted to all positions, observing the sequence. This must be done starting from position P to D and back. Having done these simple steps, you should go to the next step: the pre-wiped dipstick should be immersed in the gearbox, opening to the maximum. The oil level must not be below the “HOT” mark. Otherwise, it is necessary to add technical fluid to the required level.
In addition to changing the technical fluid, you need to pay attention to the following points about once a week:
- the condition of the tyres their wear and air pressure.
- The make and model of your tyres: make sure your vehicle is equipped with the corresponding tyres. For example, suppose you own a light commercial truck, your tyres should fall under the category of “commercial light truck tyres“;
- wiper blades.
- the battery the condition of the tray of this component and the connection and integrity of the contacts.
- Car electrical equipment should also be given attention. Check the horn, harnesses and contacts, and parts that connect the electrical wiring weekly.
Lack of maintenance will affect the operation of the motor; this will certainly appear if the car is purchased already used. The costs in this situation are inevitable, but they will pay off.
Engine wear, if suspected, can be determined by applying compression. With its help, the driver will be able to imagine the scope of future repairs. Maintenance will not help if the damage and wear to the motor are severe. So, what to do to improve the performance of the power unit and extend its life:
- the battery should be cleaned and checked.
- Checking the condition of technical fluids, all.
- Condition and tension of belts on belt drives. If required, replace one of them.
- Spark plugs also need a systematic check.
- you need to pay attention to all components of the ignition system.
- the air filter must be in good working order. Otherwise, it must be replaced with a suitable one.
Car maintenance and the frequency of its repair are directly related to procedures. Therefore, if you pay all your attention to the 1st, you will not have to repair your car often, and you will not have to invest a lot of money in this procedure.